Do you drool over designer clothing in fashion magazines like “Elle” and “Lucky,” but doubt you could ever afford to purchase such items? It’s easy to buy designer clothes cheaply online. Just follow a few simple tips, and you can fill your closet with designer clothing without spending all your money.
- If you’ve yet to discover the world of online sample sales, you’re sure to be surprised by how low designer prices can go. Designers often create more merchandise than they’re able to sell. In order to get rid of the excess merchandise, they host sample sales, selling their wares at deeply discounted prices. More often than not, designers will agree to have an outside organization produce the sample sale on their behalf. If you live in a fashion mecca like New York City, it’s easy to visit these sales and browse all the beautiful clothing and accessories in person. However, Web-based companies like Hautelook.com and Gilt Groupe feature online sample sales in which anyone can participate.
- It’s free and easy to sign up to shop at www.hautelook.com. The dynamic, user-friendly website showcases designer clothing, shoes and accessories by premium designers such as Cynthia Vincent and Elizabeth and James at up to 75 percent off. New sales occur daily and last for approximately 24 hours. Hautelook sends sale announcements to its members via email, but won’t litter your inbox with spam. An added bonus is the ability to watch informative videos about the featured designers.
- Like Hautelook, Gilt Groupe uses email to alert its members to its daily sample sales for men, women and children. Found at www.gilt.com, the site hosts sales by top-tier designers like Oscar De La Renta and Kate Spade. Access to the site is by invitation only, but browsing fashion blogs and magazines, asking around or even performing some savvy Googling will easily score you entrance to this “exclusive” club. Members who invite their friends receive an extra $25 off any purchase, so you’ll be doing others a favor by asking them to send you an invitation.
- Not only does www.ideeli.com host sample sales, it also provides frequent giveaways featuring new merchandise from designers like Marc Jacobs and Bill Blass. The site is, like gilt.com, accessible only to members, but asking around on fashion forums like www.retailmenot.com will quickly get you the inside scoop.
- While not an online sample sale, Shopittome is a great way to locate designer clothing at discount prices. Sign up for free at www.shopittome.com to receive daily emails listing on sale items in your size, by designers and stores of your choice. You’ll be able to score heavily discounted items by top designers like Dian Von Furstenburg, as well as learn about sales at stores like The GAP and J. Crew without having to scour the Internet yourself.
- If member registration isn’t your thing, not to worry. Online sample sales open to the public happen all the time, and you can learn about them simply by browsing your favorite fun-to-read blogs. Here are some websites that are more than happy to share sample sale news with their readers:www.dailycandy.comwww.chicalert.com